Gunslingers are a kind of Paladin, hailing from Dorado, where they are a Syndicate to themselves and enforcers of the Law. As Paladins, they take an Oath, after years of brutal, unfair, often cruel training.
Oath of Roland
Roland was a Paladin who stood firm against a curse from a Devil, even though it cost him his friends, his home, and his heart. Roland ended up pursuing this Devil into the desert north of Dorado after his mother was seduced and slain by the devil and his father, The Duke, was driven mad.
Paladins who take the Oath of Roland gain the firearms proficiency, and can only choose one skill, as the other is taken up by Ammunition Crafting. This is because the firearms they carry are the finest in the world, and not encumbered by the usual restrictions, and so they are a very unique kind of Paladin.
Paladins who take this Path must always originate in Dorado and it is in the Hall in Dorado that they must make their Oaths, after having proven themselves worthy of the honor, and able to bear the burden.
Paladins who seek to take this oath are peacekeepers, and mediators in disputes. In this world, metal is scarce, so pistols like these are few; thus, the Oath can only be given to a select few.
These people, all of them of noble blood, were rigorously trained from the age of six for their role from early childhood to adulthood, performing near-superhuman feats of strength, endurance, and concentration while also being taught the highest knowledge of their time.
One could forsake the training and remain an aristocrat. If they did, they were free to stay in their homeland, but would never become a Paladin.
But one who did take the final test, single combat with his physical instructor, and failed it, would not be given a second chance. Rather, they would be disowned and sent west into exile.
Tenets of Roland
The tenets of Roland are very difficult to walk, and even less enjoyable should things go bad.
Paladins who swear this Oath must abide, wholly, by the ten Laws:
- You are the Way. Never forget the face of your father, always remembering where you came from and what you learned, and you will always honor your father.
- You are the Way. Your actions reveal you, for actions speak louder than words, and words are how deception is performed. Always speak the truth as you know it, being honest, being true to your word, yet never speak more than is needed.
- You are the Way. Once begun, be it a task great or small, or path winding or straight, you must always finish it; your Oath is your Way. To break faith with your Way is to break your Sacred Oath, and to cast aside your Word and Bond.
- You are the Way. Always Stand before Evil, and pursue it no matter where it goes when it flees, for Evil will always flee so that it may return; you must be the implacable Foe, the unending Way and Path of the Endings.
- You are the Way. Your weapons are death, and you must always recognize and understand this. Your Way is always going to be filled with death, and your burden is to bear it quietly and strongly; never speak ill of the dead, nor speak ill to living; never forget a courtesy that is due nor a wrong that is done and awaits punishment.
- You are the Way. You do not aim with your hand; he who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father. You aim with your eye. You do not shoot with your hand; she who shoots with her hand has forgotten the face of her mother. You shoot with your mind. You do not kill with your pistol; they who kill with their pistol has forgotten the face of their parent. You kill with your heart.
- You are the Way. Your Way is to protect and to defend, to serve and to support, to aid and to assist. Your path is the Righteous, and you will serve The Nine and oppose the Five, and your blood is the offering and your life is the sacrifice.
- You are the Way. You have come for a serious purpose, you have come as an outcast, and so you will return should you fail your Oath. Your Way is your Ordeal, your Path is your Oath, your Heart is surrendered, to never love nor be loved, to never take nor be taken.
- You are the Way. You are the Instrument, You are the Path. You are the Compassion and the Caring, the Guardian; Let no evil be left unmarked by your passing and your presence.
- You are the Way. Your Way cares not for the number, merely the presence; Your Way worries not for the future, only the present; Your Way bears the past with you, and in you resides all that we are, and all that we can be. You are the Way.
|5th||Create or Destroy Water, Healing Word|
|10th||Enhance Ability, Spiritual Weapon|
|15th||Create Food And Water, Speak with Dead|
|20th||Locate Creature, Freedom of Movement|
When you take this Oath, you lose the Divine Smite ability, but you gain both of these Channel Divinity Options.
Fast reload: This feature starts at 3rd level and allows the Paladin to reload one pistol without expending a turn, using one hand.
Two Guns: This feature starts at 5th level and extends the fast reload skill to both hands while also enabling you to use a pistol in each hand.
These features only apply to pistols. IF not using pistols, the Paladin does not gain any benefit.
At 10th Level, when firing on an enemy, you can expend on spell slot so that each round from the Paladin’s weapons causes an additional 1d6 of damage. This amount does not increase with levels.
Guardian of the Way
Starting at 15th level, when you are reduced to 0 hit points and not killed outright, you can choose to drop to 1 hit point instead. Once you use this ability, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest.
Mastery of The Way
At 20th level, you can harness the power of The Whills, and become an Avatar, gaining the following benefits for 1 minute:
- You have resistance to all damage
- When you take an attack action on your turn, you can make one additional attack as part of that action.
- Your weapon attacks score a critical hit on a 19 or 20 on the d20.
Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again until after a long rest.